Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cake! MIT Media Lab!

I'm excited that lB and my brother will be in town next week! To celebrate I will attempt making a brilliant cake - literally. It'll be unique compared to the light-up cakes found on the internet though. lB might have to endure my prototyping in the kitchen, solder in hand, as I probably won't have time to make the first couple test cakes before next week.

Here's a peek at what my cake will not look like. After all, what's the point in making an existing cake? (Click on the cakes for the original links.)


(by pastry chef Anne Heap, founder of Pink Cake Box)


(by Buckley and Binns. Buckley is an MIT alumnus and great hacker.*)

* why, oh why, did you - lB - turn down grad. school at MIT? The Media Lab just got a whole lot sexier too with Ed Boyden's group! They recently demonstrated the delivery of light inside brain structures which could control genetically modulated brain cells and consequently manipulate behavior in primates. It had not been shown in primates until now, since gene therapy in primates is complicated. It may someday replace deep brain stimulators for the treatment of Parkinson's disease and other disorders.

Okie, I managed to avoid lab work yet again. Aiya...

No comments:

Post a Comment